MAKING A STATEMENT WITH STATE POLICE:
an advocate or a mentor you can trust. I recommend Advocate Mary T. Jean of Leominster Massachusetts (978) 466-6823.
2. Never go alone! There is no law forbidding accompaniment.
3. If they present pre-designed questions
already typed, DO NOT allow them to gather information by way of typing through a form of electronic media (ie., computer,
etc., they can change that data if your "answers" are in an electronic format.)
4.Provide a written
statement in regards to your alleged abuse.
5. Ask to have the interview digitally recorded.
6. Remember you are entitled to a copy of your statement after the investigative period is closed.
Under MGL (Massachusetts General Laws) Chapter 266 Section 10, if your name is on any governmental documents, you have a right
to request copies of them under the Public Records Act.
8. If you were sexually abused you are the principal
participant, you can request a copy immediately following making a statement.
9. Report it if you feel outnumbered,
intimidated or coerced by the person(s) receiving the statement inquiry.
10. Have them come to you in your
surroundings where you are comfortable. There is no law that says you have to report to their places of business.
11. Don't allow them to steer the conversation, STAY FOCUSED ON THE FACTS.
12. GO IN WITH AN ADVOCATE,
I cannot stress this enough!
13. Remember your statement of allegation regarding a specific incident must
be approved by the District Attorney or the prosecutorial authority in order to determine if action will be taken. The interviewer
does not have the authority to have the case move forward.
14. Be careful of possible collusion where Church
authorities can influence law enforcement agencies. (Not playing on level playing field.)
15. A Fresh Complaint
Witness is the first person you disclosed the alleged sexual abuse to (usually within 24 hours of the crime, not in all cases).
Legally this person can testify in court as supporting evidence for your case.
HERE IS WHAT CAN HAPPEN
WHEN ONE IS NOT AWARE OF THESE TIPS. CLICK Burnor/ Abbey Case Complaints